Monday, October 4, 2010

1970 Raleigh Superbe

1970 Raleigh 'Superbe'. Photo taken with an Argus C3 camera


Earlier this year I became obsessed with 3-speed bicycles. The classic look, ease of only 3 gears to choose from and upright riding position very much appealed to me.

I purchased a 1960's Schwinn from a local junk shop with the intention of refurbishing it. It is a decent bike but it needed a lot of work. As soon as I started researching parts etc. I came across a 1970 Raleigh Superbe for sale. It was selling for a fair price and I was first in line to test drive it. After a short spin around the block I knew I would be taking this bike home. I have put over 50 miles on this bike in the 2 weeks I have owned it and every mile has been a pleasure.

The Superbe was Raleigh's top of the line bicycle featuring Reynolds steel frame, matching luggage rack, Sturmey Archer hub, locking fork, Brooks leather saddle, and Sturmey Archer dynohub generator lights.

The Schwinn deserves to be fixed up someday but until then I'll be pedaling this beauty around town.

"The cycle is, today, a universal vehicle, transporting its votaries from point to point swiftly, surely and inexpensively, whilst there is in addition that to be gained which other methods of transportation, save walking, do not afford, viz., a health ensuring, invigorating exercise."
-Barrett's Ironmongery Stores, Cycle Department brochure 1906

No comments:

Post a Comment